• Proven employee engagement through compelling written and multimedia content online and in print.
• Experience transforming internal communications programs through newsletter launches and website upgrades.
• Equally effective working independently or collaboratively, vertically and across departments.
• Savvy with social-media platforms and content-management systems such as Drupal, Wordpress and MS Expressions Web.
• Trained in the traditions of daily journalism: juggling tight deadlines and writing clearly and concisely.
• Enforcing deadlines, maintaining content calendar and production processes as editor of an employee news site.
• Served as assistant print editor for faculty/staff news weekly at Stanford; managed writing-internship program.
WRITING AND EDITING WORK
Stanford Technology Ventures Program (May 2013 - present)
• Crafting stories and other content highlighting student-focused entrepreneurship activities.
• Building audience engagement via web content and email distribution, as well as in-person promotions.
• Establishing communications templates and contributing to community-engagement efforts.
• Representing STVP at events and assisting with audio and video content.
• Managed content schedule for microsite, especially main pages for public and internal audiences.
• Wrote internal communications pieces for employees, including news articles and lab-wide announcements.
• Worked closely with writers and managers on content, as well as computing staff on functionality.
• Managed production processes within the office and various community calendars for the lab.
Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics (Jan. 2010 - July 2011)
• Provided media relations and communications expertise as part of an overall public-engagement initiative.
• Wrote and edited scientific and news content for the web, press releases, op-eds and other materials.
• Developed and maintained strategic relationships with the media, relevant agencies and the public.
• Worked closely with web team and supported social media strategies and execution.
Stanford News Service (Aug. 2004 - May 2009)
Staff Writer/Assistant Editor
• Wrote a wide range of stories on deadline according to traditional journalistic standards for the Stanford Report.
• Assisted in production of print edition by writing headlines, captions and working with graphic designers on layout.
• Managed science-writing internship: assigned and edited interns’ stories and made evaluations and recommendations.
• Helped manage web content for readability, accuracy and updates.
East Bay Business Times (March 2004 - July 2004)
• Wrote articles weekly about law firms, oil refineries and energy issues in the San Francisco East Bay.
Crittenden Research (2002 - 2004)
Staff Writer, Retail Space News
• Wrote content for nationally distributed newsletter focused on retail-property demand and development, industry trends and new retail concepts. Subscribers were primarily commercial-space brokers, developers and some retailers.
San Francisco Chronicle (2000 - 2002)
• Wrote breaking news stories, human-interest features and general assignments under a two-year employment contract.
Contra Costa Newspaper Group (1997 -2000)
Staff Writer, Valley Times
• Covered all aspects of local news, with more regional stories occasionally appearing in the San Jose Mercury News.
• Wrote, edited and advised on production flow, print design and story selection for quarterly health-and-wellness newsletter at Stanford. Also provided input on content and design during transition to online platform.
• From 2002 to 2004, wrote news articles and features for the San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News and East Bay Business Times.
San Francisco State University
• B. A. in Journalism, 1997
• Mac OSX, MS Office, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Drupal, Wordpress, Google Analytics, audio/video editing
• Big Brothers-Big Sisters of the Bay Area, volunteer Big Brother, 2007-2009
• Seymour Marine Discovery Center, volunteer apprentice guide, 2009
Michael V. Peña (2017), firstname.lastname@example.org